Professional Web Applications Themes

how to track where user attempts login - Windows Server

I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets locked out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I track from where that account is trying to be accessed? Thanks, David H...

  1. #1

    Default how to track where user attempts login

    I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the
    password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets locked
    out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I track
    from where that account is trying to be accessed?

    Thanks,
    David H

    David H Guest

  2. #2

    Not sure about where you would find THAT info, but here is
    a suggestion. Change the name of the account that is
    getting locked out.

    Whoever is accessing the account won't be able to lock it
    out if they don't know the account name.

    Hope this helps.

    Eric the IT Novice Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: how to track where user attempts login

    Hi,

    Assuming your GPO are setup to audit logon events, you will be able to find
    the "login denied" events in the Event logs "Security"of all your DC.

    This means you wil lahve to have a look on each of your DC to know from what
    machine is coming the wrong logon.

    Hope this helps.

    Rds,
    Chris

    "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the
    > password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets
    locked
    > out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I
    track
    > from where that account is trying to be accessed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David H

    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    If you audit for account logon failure, the Security log in Event Viewer
    will show the source machine for the logon attempt. You will need to enable
    this in the domain controllers OU.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the
    > password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets
    locked
    > out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I
    track
    > from where that account is trying to be accessed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David H

    Doug Sherman [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Doug and all,

    This sounds like what I need to do. Would you please tell me how to enable
    this in the domain controllers OU? Or point me to a KB article or something?
    Thank you very much for your help. This forum almost always has the answers.

    Thanks,
    David
    "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > If you audit for account logon failure, the Security log in Event Viewer
    > will show the source machine for the logon attempt. You will need to
    enable
    > this in the domain controllers OU.
    >
    > Doug Sherman
    > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    >
    > "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the
    > > password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets
    > locked
    > > out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I
    > track
    > > from where that account is trying to be accessed?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > David H

    David H Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    I would be you, I would modifiy the Domain Controler defaut GPO, as It's
    kind of security basic to audit logon event.

    Rgds

    > Thanks Doug and all,
    >
    > This sounds like what I need to do. Would you please tell me how to enable
    > this in the domain controllers OU? Or point me to a KB article or
    something?
    > Thank you very much for your help. This forum almost always has the
    answers.

    > Thanks,
    > David
    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > If you audit for account logon failure, the Security log in Event Viewer
    > > will show the source machine for the logon attempt. You will need to
    > enable
    > > this in the domain controllers OU.
    > >
    > > Doug Sherman
    > > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    > >
    > > "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the
    > > > password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets
    > > locked
    > > > out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I
    > > track
    > > > from where that account is trying to be accessed?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > David H

    Chris Guest

  7. #7

    Open AD Users and Computers, Right click on the Domain Controllers OU, and
    select Properties. Click the Group Policy tab, click the Edit button.
    Under Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, expand Security
    Settings, expand Local Policies, click on Audit Poliocy. Double click on
    Account logon Events, check the box for Define these policy settings and
    check the box for Failure.

    The result is that every domain controller in the domain that authenticates
    users will record its failed logons in the Security log in Event Viewer for
    all failed logon attempts by all user accounts. If this results in an
    enormous number of security events, you can select Filter from the View menu
    in Event Viewer to isolate the account you are interested in.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCP+I, MVP

    "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Doug and all,
    >
    > This sounds like what I need to do. Would you please tell me how to enable
    > this in the domain controllers OU? Or point me to a KB article or
    something?
    > Thank you very much for your help. This forum almost always has the
    answers.

    > Thanks,
    > David
    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > If you audit for account logon failure, the Security log in Event Viewer
    > > will show the source machine for the logon attempt. You will need to
    > enable
    > > this in the domain controllers OU.
    > >
    > > Doug Sherman
    > > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    > >
    > > "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the
    > > > password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets
    > > locked
    > > > out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I
    > > track
    > > > from where that account is trying to be accessed?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > David H

    Doug Sherman [MVP] Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Chris. Where do I do this? I mean know where to find the default GPO
    in AD users and computers and I see security settings but I am not sure how
    to add audit logon event.

    "Chris" <tophe_news@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would be you, I would modifiy the Domain Controler defaut GPO, as It's
    > kind of security basic to audit logon event.
    >
    > Rgds
    >

    > "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Doug and all,
    > >
    > > This sounds like what I need to do. Would you please tell me how to
    enable
    > > this in the domain controllers OU? Or point me to a KB article or
    > something?
    > > Thank you very much for your help. This forum almost always has the
    > answers.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > David
    > > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > If you audit for account logon failure, the Security log in Event
    Viewer
    > > > will show the source machine for the logon attempt. You will need to
    > > enable
    > > > this in the domain controllers OU.
    > > >
    > > > Doug Sherman
    > > > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    > > >
    > > > "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > > > locked
    > > > track

    David H Guest

  9. #9

    Well, dadgummit! This policy is already configured as below. But the event
    viewer on the domain controller shows no failed audit's for this user, but
    the user account keeps getting locked from time to time. some times it
    occurs several times in a day, some days not at all. I guess now I need some
    help in how to start troubleshooting this phenomenon. So..... how would you
    go about troubleshotting an issue like this?

    Thanks again Doug!

    > Open AD Users and Computers, Right click on the Domain Controllers OU, and
    > select Properties. Click the Group Policy tab, click the Edit button.
    > Under Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, expand Security
    > Settings, expand Local Policies, click on Audit Poliocy. Double click on
    > Account logon Events, check the box for Define these policy settings and
    > check the box for Failure.
    >
    > The result is that every domain controller in the domain that
    authenticates
    > users will record its failed logons in the Security log in Event Viewer
    for
    > all failed logon attempts by all user accounts. If this results in an
    > enormous number of security events, you can select Filter from the View
    menu
    > in Event Viewer to isolate the account you are interested in.
    >
    > Doug Sherman
    > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCP+I, MVP
    >

    > "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Doug and all,
    > >
    > > This sounds like what I need to do. Would you please tell me how to
    enable
    > > this in the domain controllers OU? Or point me to a KB article or
    > something?
    > > Thank you very much for your help. This forum almost always has the
    > answers.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > David
    > > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > If you audit for account logon failure, the Security log in Event
    Viewer
    > > > will show the source machine for the logon attempt. You will need to
    > > enable
    > > > this in the domain controllers OU.
    > > >
    > > > Doug Sherman
    > > > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    > > >
    > > > "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > > > locked
    > > > track

    David H Guest

  10. #10

    There is probably a service which still uses such
    credentials
    Check the security in event viewer after enabling aufition
    for failed logins

    salvador Guest

  11. #11

    Alternatively, you can enable netlogon logging on your domain controller(s).
    The following link from MS explains just about everything you will need to
    set it up and figure out what's happening...it's pretty well written and
    explains a lot about the Microsoft logon process to boot.

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/bpactlck.mspx[/url]

    I think that you will find this to be a good solution that will help you
    troubleshoot this and many other logon problems of this type. For more info
    search "netlogon.log" on google. NT40 required a checked build of
    netlogon.log to enable this feature, I beleive that it is native to 2K and
    above.

    drt

    "David H" <dhigginbotham@hazenandsawyer.com> wrote in message
    > I have an admin equivalent account that I recently had to change the
    > password for due to a change in personnel. The admin account now gets
    locked
    > out due to excessive failed logon's on an occasional basis. How can I
    track
    > from where that account is trying to be accessed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David H

    drt Guest