Professional Web Applications Themes

Actions - loading actions by opening .atn action file - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

WHAT YOU DO: * Double-click on, right-click/Open, or right-click/Open With (Photoshop) an .atn file RESULT: * Photoshop opens AND * The actions from the .atn are copied into the Actions Palette, too -- just as though one executed a Load Actions command on the .atn via the Actions Palette Menu. WHAT'S WEIRD: Many folks in a different PS forum reported this didn't work for them - including me. A pretty sharp tech. guy reported this capability can be enabled with a registry hack (albeit a fairly simple one if you want to go there). Others reported being able to do ...

  1. #1

    Default Actions - loading actions by opening .atn action file

    WHAT YOU DO:
    * Double-click on, right-click/Open, or right-click/Open With (Photoshop) an .atn file

    RESULT:
    * Photoshop opens AND
    * The actions from the .atn are copied into the Actions Palette, too -- just as though one executed a Load Actions command on the .atn via the Actions Palette Menu.

    WHAT'S WEIRD:
    Many folks in a different PS forum reported this didn't work for them - including me.

    A pretty sharp tech. guy reported this capability can be enabled with a registry hack (albeit a fairly simple one if you want to go there).

    Others reported being able to do this w/o having done the registry modification.

    It doesn't appear to related to the Windows flavor / PS version installed either.

    It works:
    * Win98SE - PS6
    * Win XP Pro - PS7

    No go:
    * Win 2K - PS7
    * Win XP Home - PS6, PS 7
    * Win XP Pro - PS7

    This method was reported as a "tip" in a recent Photoshop User mag, as well.

    - - - - - -

    I'm wondering if Tony, Trevor, Mathias or any of the action heavyweights who participate here can shed some light on this.

    Why can come folks do it (w/o the registry change) and some folks not?

    Clues, hints, pearls of wisdom appreciated.

    TIA - Danny
    Danny Raphael Guest

  2. #2

    Danny,

    I'm looking into it, but fwiw, it doesn't work for me either. I can drag it onto the work area and it will load but double clicking or right click Open won't add it to the actions pallet.

    Win98SE and PS7.

    Peace,
    Tony

    YrbkMgr Guest

  3. #3

    Here's the registry change that supposedly enables this functionality in case it might ring any bells.

    -------------
    NOTE: Use at your own risk.

    To my knowledge this has not been tested this and I take NO responsibility for its outcome.

    Registry changes (if done improperly) can cause great pain and grief.

    -------------
    Start => Run=> type "regedit" click ok

    Browse to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Classes
    PhotoShop.ActionsFile
    shell
    open
    command

    And in the right frame you will see an icon "Default", double click on this and you'll see something like this:

    C:\Program Files\Photoshop 7.0\Photoshop.exe

    Change to:

    "C:\Program Files\Photoshop 7.0\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

    (Note the placements of " quotes)

    Close the regeditor
    Danny Raphael Guest

  4. #4

    The registry tweak worked on 2000. Looks like you could do it without editing the registry too. You can do it by changing the file association. Under folder options, choose file types. Find atn in the list then highlight it and choose advanced. Highlight open and choose edit. Then just wrap the original statement in quotes and add "%1" to the end (don't forget the space).
    Eric Purkalitis Guest

  6. #6

    Tony, you should be able to set a file association by right-clicking on an atn file and then choose open with. Then pick photoshop and check the always use this program option.

    You'll then have to go and edit the association. It'd be easier to use regedit. You can skip the association stuff. Just create the key (use string value), the association will get set automatically when the key is added.
    Eric Purkalitis Guest

  7. #7

    Eric,

    you should be able to set a file association by right-clicking on an atn
    file and then choose open with.

    Yes, thanks, I know. The real question was, on user machines where double clicking on the ATN adds it to the bottom of the pallet, is theirs automatically associated (with the filename variable added to the registry key)? If so, how did that happen? If not, it's a moot point. See what I mean?

    I'm not trying to fix it - I personally don't care. But what Danny brings up is interesting. To wit, why does it work on some user machines and not others? Is there a common thread that we can identify?

    Danny's writing some tutorials on Actions and we've corresponded via e-mail as well as in the forum in the past. As a result, he's trying to be as comprehensive as possible, probably as an academic exercise <grin>, to doent much of the functionality of Actions. I think this is one of the quirks that he's trying to chase down.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  8. #8

    This has never worked for me either.

    Appreciate the hacks, though.
    Mathias Vejerslev Guest

  9. #9

    Just for clarification, drag-n-drop works, even though double clicking doesn't. To me, there's little difference so I prefer not to be bothered with a registry hack - just me, but I thought I'd add my two cents <shrug>.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest